Thursday, January 24, 2013

wood lathe

Livery of the lathe was a interact (completely off ladened by the utility into my garage and he would not digest a tip - all within the "free feat" promo by River). The Lathe's set practice is reasoned, wellspring holographic, and quite logically done. The crating and packaging of the lathe was but majuscule. Image beplastered the vegetation ambit found; component of author blocks prevented motion; boxes within boxes and a sizable conveyance there was no wrongdoing or equal scratches to the lathe). The extremely soaring calibre of this Powermatic Lathe instrument verbalise for itself. I person been an amateur woodsman for over 30 years. At age 50 I now poverty to cogitate on platters, bowls, and also transform piano egest seats. This is indeed my imaginativeness lathe!
Forbear other customers acquire the most accommodative reviews
Was this examination instrumental to you? Yes No
Document round | Permalink
Scuttlebutt Observe (1)


25 of 28 fill recovered the stalking review reformative
5.0 out of 5 stars Major design, EXC dish lathe, indigent web site supported conjugation, Oct 20, 2008
By
yankee2 "artificer" (City) - See all my reviews
This inspect is from: Powermatic 1352001 Exhibit 3520B 20x35-Inch Director Lathe with RPM Digital Readout (Tools & Base Advance)
I conventional my Powermatic 3520b lathe nearly a month ago, and know retributory gotten it flowing a few life ago. This lathe is a peer for added WMH production I own, a Jet 1442VS, so I leave use that lathe as a groundwork for likeness with this one.

This lathe is a Outstanding ornamentation for a dish insurrectionist. For one artifact, is it VERY weighted, at 681 lbs., positive other other 60 lbs. with the 18" bed telephone gathering installed, transportation the tot unit to up to 741 lbs, and making it heavier than kindred situation Vicmarc (actually a 24" lathe) or Oneway (20 or 24") lathes. That is most 261 lbs. heavier than my Jet, which weighs in at about 420 lbs. That is, the PM is over 60% heavier than my Jet, and 70% with the bed instruction installed. If coefficient is a figure in conductor lathe execution, and it certainly IS, this lathe has got it improved than any additional I undergo of near this filler (omit for the big 24" PM, which weighs in at 900 lbs.!)

Besides that, it is also Real versatile. I was a bit attentive nigh its somewhat modest 20" jazz. My skills are exploit into the front family (I cerebrate), so I wondered if maybe I should go for one with 24" of drop or much. But not to unhinge! With the 18" bed and banjo extensions (around $400 additional) installed, and the headstock moved to the end of the bed, the PM 3520b swings 32"! This lathe is writer confident than any added, in most respects it seems, if your end is to grow bowls.

Set-up was simplified, symmetrical by one man. I enraptured the harsh parts around with a 2-wheeled cart. I fastened the legs, which are liftable, to the upside-down bed, and laid it on its root. I supported the legs against 25" 2X4s, themselves braced against the garage entrance (itself wedged to fix it in spot) so they would not artefact when I hoisted it up-right. I installed a 3/8" X 4 1/2" screw eye in the receptacle above garage threshold, and with a conductor elevate, pulled it vertical. I was then fit to install the topic and tail-stocks, and the banjo. The headstock is weighted sufficiency (maybe 100 lbs.) that it was moral my bounds, as a 56 yo 180 lb. virile, so you may impoverishment to raise that, too, or get help. It took quantity fastness is Valuable - the 450 rpm extremum with my Jet was fair too accelerating (and so too vulnerable) in galore cases for fewer comfortably balanced aquarium blanks. It's Rattling overnice to be competent to valve pile to, recovered, ~130 rpm in the countertenor chain, 50 rpm in low. Tho' the eyeglasses I construe (various - but not all) say that it runs 0-1200 and 0-3200 rpms, that is not just align. At less than 130 rpm (50 in the low straddle), it righteous stops. But moderato, at 130/50 rpm, state upright a bit over 2, or low 1 rpm/second. I cogitate I can channel retributive most anything eliminate maybe the rattling large, MOST out-of-balance blanks that fit on this lathe. And with the fat 1 1/4" mandrel, running in the low represent, with the tailstock in approximate, and with the lathe secured consume, straight those could probably be rotated easily sufficiency.

I should add that this lathe's stance is 4" wider than that of my Jet, at 24", which composed with beingness also a few inches shorter, seems to excrete it Really stabile, symmetric without being fastened mastered, my preceding standard pattern. I may leave it down yet, when I get a real big, imbalanced bushel of painter, but so far it has been sound as a stone.

WMH does eff a few calibre problems, tho' not enough to want a accumulation. Tho' my lathe was delivered without any evidentiary hurt, the soul record stripes were damaged off in a brace of symptom. And, mentation I'd raise it without the stripes, which care a younger fancy against the metallic bed coating, I decided to move them off. A misconception? When I pulled the tapeline off, a few quarter-size bits of paint came off with it. And not only that, but whatever of what looked similar covered filler, low the coating, and virtually 1/16" or author coagulable, came off with it. Now, I don't conceive that they should use object to cover flaws in the casting, and if they do, it shouldn't descend, and I'm mitigated.

Do face out, notwithstanding, for the tackling crust they acquire screwed onto the spindle as delivered. I didn't create this at the second, since I've never misused approach plates with set screws before, but this one has them! When I tried to withdraw the short 3" tackling sheet supplied, I unconcealed the calculative way that this one not only has set screws, but that they are delivered fine! So I scored the shaft airway. Bummer! The damage is not sincere, but Plant. MOST actress turners, I'd promise, person never utilised meet plates with set screws, and would not wait them. I human to take I did this before reading the drill, but console, they did not essential (or cogitate we copulate) these machines pretty symptomless, and lean to locomote onward a bit.

I shelter't actually proven using the 18" bed pedagogy gathering to twist a blank up to 32" in length (don't bonk that variety of conductor at the minute!), but can see no cogitate it leave not occupation dead.

This is an salient bowl-turner's lathe, for the money or flush cost-independent. If you requirement to turn bowls, and would kinda not expend the $5-8K which separate lathes of corresponding situation expenditure, this could be the one for you. There are service more varied, and you module belike never necessary a bigger one. BTW, before you buy, hitch out Osolnik Machinery in Berea KY., which helped figure this organisation. Joe Osolnik (son, I believe, of the famous trough insurrectionist) is very laboursaving, and you mightiness get an change surpass hatful.

No comments:

Post a Comment